Thursday, September 28, 2006

My Children, Your Children

I am a married mom with three beautiful children. Two of my children are in public school and one is in private school. Why is only one child in private school? Because I have found that this is the best environment for this child. I believe the debate about school choice is about just that – each child getting his or her specific needs met in a school environment that works for that child. I know parents that are less fortunate than I am that would love the opportunity to send their children to a different school – public or private. But simply because they live in a certain zip code, they are not able to change schools. Many have wanted to use my address just so that their child can attend a better school. The system is making criminals out of mothers who just want the best for their children. School choice – we need a lot of it – and we need it now. My babies will get a good education, but there are so many that will not. As a mother, this breaks my heart, because I am concerned about the welfare of all children in South Carolina, and not just my own. This is my compassion as a human being, my mission as a mother and my responsibility as a citizen of this state.


Mothers, come with me on this journey to better education in South Carolina. Let’s not be afraid of naysayers that tell us we are wrong. We must stand strong for our children and lead the way for more educational opportunities.


Rita Davenport, Guest Writer
A Mom On A Mission

3 Comments:

Blogger C. Herd said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:16 PM  
Blogger C. Herd said...

I also have a national college preparation blog that is the infrasture for high school students, parents, undergraduate, and post-graduate students. The blog currently has millions and millions of dollars scholarships, internships, fellowships, that will be expiring by this month. My blog is located at: http://www.ctherd.blogspot.com .

I also have created a 37-page document that will guide the "Class of 2007" or any senior class through preparing for college.

In response to your article, my children attended both public and county school. The two that attended public school (between the two of them) received over $1 million dollars in scholarships and offers and both attended and are attending schools that cost over $40,000 a year to attend.

I find that we must teach our children comprehension of their subject matters and invoke Community Service so that they will be well-rounded. Community Service can be determined by how mature a child is, but they need to be performing them from 9th through 12th. Community helps to bring about Diversity. Students need to learn what Diversity is and why it is important? I provide information on my blog regarding Community Service as well.

Please share this information with others, because it will take a villiage to help in the process.

4:23 PM  
Blogger TheSmokies.TV said...

Thousands expected to turn out for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Benefit Concert in Kingstree, South Carolina on Oct. 21, 2007.
Jacob Timmons & Randy Parton benefit concert expected to be huge hit in Kingstree, South Carolina, October 21, 2007!

Kingstree, South Carolina | October 1, 2007 Since the September 11th press release which announced news of the Free Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Benefit Concert starring Jacob Timmons, Randy Parton and a special video remote appearance by the queen of country music Dolly Parton, excitement and anticipation has taken over the Carolinas from top to bottom. Cherry Grove to Charleston, South Carolinians are making plans to attend this fantastic event.
Never has there been so much excitement to fill the air. Maybe it’s because the event will feature an exclusive video remote by Dolly Parton and the people of South Carolina really are excited about having Dolly’s Imagination Library in their communities for their children.
Thanks to a media blitz including internet marketing, print media, radio media and television media such as an exclusive interview with Dolly Parton, the effort of local man, Jacob Timmons along with his friends the Partons, as well as Kingstree Mayor Jim Kirby and Pig Pickin’ director of events Mike Kirby seem to be paying off Big Time! From local news papers to national print publications, from public television and radio to national broadcast stations, everyone is talking about this exciting news worthy event that’s taking place at the Kingstree Recreation Park in Kingstree. SC.
Local businesses and major corporations are all jumping onboard to help raise awareness for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program so that it can soon become a reality for all children of South Carolina!
“I am so happy to hear the buzz around South Carolina about this benefit concert” said producer, Jacob Timmons, “I am certain that the event will be a complete success thanks to the great entertainment provided by Randy Parton’s Entertainment Group as well as the unequaled local dedication by Mike Kirby & Mayor Jim Kirby. I just can’t tell you how good it makes me feel to know these community-involved gentlemen, along with many other wonderful people in the area have stepped up to the plate and taken this idea full speed ahead!”

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home